Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Three Generations - women from the 50's


I have this wonderful photo of my mother, grandmother and me on Easter Sunday taken in my grandmother's rose garden. I am certain that my great-grandmother was in the house because I remember how awe inspiringly old she was at the time. Based on the dress and my age, I suspect this photo is circa 1958. My mother already had birthed 3 babies and I wonder what it is that she is looking towards - the future? My grandmother's vision is directed in the opposite path - towards the past? Is she looking back towards her first born child, Clare who died when Grannie was pregnant with my mom.... I will always wonder what impact that profound grief has had on my mother's life.

Poised between these two women I am the bridge which only has become apparent in recent years. My relationship with my grandmother was very simple - she simply loved and adored me. She was the one who I could tell all my fears as well as fantasies to, knowing that she would accept me. I don't remember her ever disciplining me EXCEPT once during a visit back from my Alaska life. I'd become quite familiar with the use of the F**K word and after the first 24 hours with Grannie, she threatened to wash my mouth out with soap!

I know little about being a mother - only about being a daughter. But I hear from my many friends who are mothers to girls how difficult/devestating/challenging it is. First, I'm told that they are always wrong as mothers and that their daughters steal their clothes or make fun of what the mom's wear. I'm pretty much in alignment with the daughters and find it easy to understand their point of view. My grandmother was easy to be with, my mom, not so much so these days.

1 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my god! i love this photo! you look like DOROTHY!!!
..and we're sure not in kansas anymore!
i'm SURE glad i knew all 3 of you!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home